1. Weather. Hermine made landfall on the Texas coast and traveled to our city. It was intense with heavy rains, strong winds, flash flooding, power outages, and a very dark sky. The eye of the storm was actually quite calm as it passed, then the storm fiercely resumed. It was odd to see the dry creek beds full of water. We were home during the worst part. Traffic was awful when I went to pick the children up from school. Many traffic lights were not operating and a few were missing. Just electrical wires flapping in the wind. Hermine was powerful and it was just a 'tropical storm' and we're 100 miles from the coast! Next, Hurricane Karl hit the coast of Mexico leaving us with rain and wind. This September is the second rainiest month on record and we still have a week left.
2. Central Time Zone. I'm still getting used to living in CT. My internal clock has adjusted. The hard part is remembering we're in CT. Last night, I sat down at 8 pm to watch a favorite show of mine. Only to find I had missed it completely. Primetime starts at 7 pm here... All my life in ET, I'd hear some title of a show followed by "9 eastern, 8 central" You think I'd know how it works!
3. Soldiers. There are 6 military bases here which means there are soldiers everywhere. You can't go anywhere without seeing someone in uniform. I have found these soldiers to be constant reminders to me of the sacrifices for my freedom and has increased my gratefulness to our military. I love how retired soldiers gather at the airport to welcome home active duty soldiers. Former President George & Laura Bush even join them at times, too.
4. Friday Night Lights. The games are intense here and a big deal to the players, coaches, families, student body (band, cheerleaders, fans), and general community. They all come out and support their teams well. The players are very skilled having played for quite some time before they start their high school 'career'.
5. School. We attended an openhouse at Rob's school. We got to experience a day of his schedule. We spent about 10 minutes in each of his classes meeting the teacher and hearing an overview of the course. Todd and I had a great time. Rob's English teacher has moved 47 times, (she is here to stay now) She has been so helpful to him. And his Algebra teacher is the perkiest person I have ever met! The building is big, the course book is thick, and the teachers are fabulous. (I want to go to high school there... ;-)
6. Closings. Our closing for our Ohio house has been frustrating for the buyers, our realtors, and us. It's not our buyers themselves, but their bank. They originally scheduled it to close in 25 days. Our broker advised we put a buffer on our closing here (which we followed and then some), but now our scheduled closing on Monday for our Texas house is in jeopardy. Tomorrow is day 40 and we're not optimistic. Delaying our closing would set off a domino effect on our sellers' 2 closings and so forth. We were basically forced to sign a 7 day extension. What it all means for our house here is a mystery at this point. We could pull it all off or we could be back to square one. Needless to say, we're frustrated.
2 comments:
So happy to hear that you like Rob's school. Bummer about closing on the house. Do you miss Ohio at all?
YES. We miss it 2 ways... first, we miss knowing a place so well (we lived there 10 years) and second, we miss our friends! (and our house and skyline ;-)
Post a Comment